You can’t escape all the literature, conversation and often just ‘noise’ around the topic of leadership. We hear what leadership is, what it isn’t, what it was and what it will be. So, this next topic series from Phoenix Strategic performance will focus on the 5 emerging skills and competencies around future-focused leadership.
- Organizational Agility for Business Readiness
- ‘Altrocentric’ Leadership - Soft Skills: Renewed, Refreshed and Revisited
- Managing the External Side of Change Management: The Organizational Journey
- Managing the Internal Side of Transition Management: The Individual Journey
- Leader as Corporate Steward - Risk Management
Why is the topic of leadership getting so much attention today? Our world and our organizations are living in a new reality and there is no more escaping this point. Old organizational paradigms that served us for the past 50 years are quickly approaching their ‘sell by’ date. Our new reality is the result of the aggregate effect of change converging at multiple levels? To many, it seems so sudden. It’s not so sudden!
We are now dealing with the convergence of technology, diverse workforce demographics represented by age, skills and culture, the nature of work and the role of the knowledge / expertise worker, and the list goes on. While until now we could comfortably ignore or deny this impending new reality, convergence of all these factors has accelerated and amplified the need to deal with this new reality head on, and NOW!
To make some sense of this whirlpool of leadership ‘noise’, we will focus on 5 high-priority leadership topics that can critically impact the leadership landscape and the strategic business direction of the organization.
Here’s a little more on the focus for the hot topic series:
- Organizational Agility for Business Readiness: Leaders must always have an external perspective and then build and maintain internally responsive organizations. Critical success factors associated with this view are:
- Thinking like the C-Suite
- Implementing for future-focused optimization
- Unlocking human capital potential to ensure strategically-aligned, robust organizations
- ‘Altrocentric’ Leadership - Soft Skills - Renewed, Refreshed and Revisited: With a shift in the use of power from positional to personal, the ‘altrocentric’ leadership paradigm is relational, focusing on others rather than self. This shift refocuses on the required skills of communicating, teaching, team building, empowering, motivating and engaging each person to reach their full potential.
- Managing the External Side of Change Management - The Organizational Journey: Change must now be viewed as constant, creating continual disturbance and discomfort for both the leader and their employees. Dealing with change that comes at organizations from the external environment. This is the rational, process approach to change, which while absolutely necessary, only deals with part of the change trajectory.
- Managing the Internal Side of Transition Management - The Individual Journey: Each individual will transition through this change journey differently. Leaders must understand this transition process and help employees journey through the very real phases of change. This is the emotional response to change in terms of change resistance, change commitment and change tolerance.
- Leader as Corporate Steward - Risk Management:
- Organizational / Structural
- Human Capital
Each of these topics deserves focus on their own, which is why we will be focusing on each of these topics as their own article over the next few weeks. We invite you to subscribe to our blog to stay updated on the leadership competencies you and your company should be focusing on.
In addition to our blogs about these leadership topics, we will also be posting numerous articles and discussion points on our linkedin group, Strategic Performance Management Forum.