Since we are still in the first quarter of the year, it's a great time for you to do a 'Career Self Check'. Just like organizations go through a performance and compensation review, you should begin a similar process on yourself.
As you look at yourself and your career for 2015 and beyond, here are some important questions you should be asking yourself about where you want to be in your career.
Career Check List:
1. What are my career goals for 2015?
2. What are my longer-term career goals for the next 5 years?3. Am I happy in my current position?
- If not, what do I need to do about it?
5. How is my current position contributing to my brand value?
- Is it moving me forward?
- Am I static?
- Am I actually regressing?
- Is there anything I need to do to change that?
- If so, what?
- What are the career consequences if I do nothing?
- What is my plan to continue to stay relevant and current?
- If I am now presently 100% current and relevant, what is the plan?
- What are the career consequences if I remain static?
These are questions that only you can answer. It's not up to your boss to determine your career; it’s up to you to take stock of yourself. Remember, if you don't, no one else will.
As you plan for 2015, you may also want to explore our PSP Institute, which provides business-driven learning and development solutions that are aligned with, and responsive to, individual competency needs.
The PSP Institute helps you learn and develop your professional, communication, management & leadership and sales & business development skills.
Please feel free to comment below on what the first step will be in your career action plan.